It's been a really long time since I spent a day just playing. Just creating for the sake of creating and trying out things that have been on my todo list forever.
These were very very difficult to take pictures of but I hope you can make them out and see what I did here. This is something I have been meaning to try for a long long time!
These are actually very simple to do... (see below for diy instructions)
These are chandelier crystals - you know the kind that hang from chandeliers. They are were clear when I started out. BTW If anyone knows where I can purchase more of these please send me a link!
So here is what I did:
- I traced the crystal shape onto paper
- For paper I used a)tissue paper b)napkins c)textbook pages (you will find it easier to use tisssue paper or napkins since they will "form" easily around the shape of the crystal
- Once cut out - I used Golden Pouring medium (or you could use mod podge or gel medium) to paste the paper onto the back of the crystal. Be sure to keep brushing over the paper until it takes the shape of the crystal (which is why tissue paper is best)
- Once adhered you will see that the paper shows through to what will be the front of the crystal (even though you actually pasted it on the outside back)
- I then used rub-ons to put words on the crystal - I rubbed them directly on the crystal and this works surprisingly well
- Give the words a coat of gel medium as well so they don't peel off
- Then I used various things to decorate the top of the crystal including ribbon, twine, and my favorite - the mini boa type feathers/pompoms (these were actually purchased at HomeGoods in long stems with these pompom feathers at the ends. I simply cut off the pom pom and using a glue gun, glued them to the crystal
- The whole process took about 15 minutes for 1 - and then it was onto the next and the next and I had to stop because I had no more crystals ...; (
so please if anyone has a source for crystals like these let me know!
You could of course make these as Christmas ornaments and put words like Seasons Greetings, or Peace on Earth etc. right onto the crystal. Or use Christmas themed tissue paper to make them more Christmas relevant. I love them so much that I didn't want to limit myself to only using them at Christmas.
I did however make some other crafty things specifically for Christmas and I will show you these later this week.
Take some time for yourself, create just for the sake of creating!